Cold case homicide investigations are some of the most difficult and frustrating cases a detective will ever work, BUT they are also the most rewarding. This two-day seminar focuses on how to resurrect these cases and hopefully give the family some closure. There will be a major focus on forensic genetic genealogy.
Topics will include:
- Which case should you choose?
- Re-examining old cases, what should you look for?
- Forensic technology changes that may affect your cold cases.
- Recontacting the family – what do you say?
- You got a DNA hit, now what?
- Forensic genealogy – what is it and can this work for our case?
- Re-interviewing witnesses after 5, 10, 20 years.
- How to administer a photo line-up after 20 years.
- Should I re-interview the original detective?
- Early mistakes that haunt a case and how to overcome them.
- There will be multiple case studies presented over the two-day course.
Taught by Jen Spears, see her bio here.